About Us


We are a married couple who retired and moved to Thailand in 2014. You are welcome to join us and our travel monkeys Sun Wukong and Malcolm Jr. on our adventures! We hope you enjoy the trip as much as we do.

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Mornings Are Magical

We live near a Muslim Mosque and listen to prayers called several times a day morning to night.  We are sitting on the terrace with our coffee in the morning watching and listening to our part of Chiang Mai come alive.   The call to prayers is broadcast in real time through a speaker so the neighborhood can hear.  We sometimes hear small children calling prayers and it is really adorable.

This morning was Sunday October 5th, 2014 and we noticed the morning prayers continued much longer than usual and instead of one voice over the loud speaker there were many. It is a Holy Day called  Eid-al-Adha.

I closed my eyes and listened.  I smelled the morning air with a noticeable coolness that had not been there a week ago.  Birds were singing and the buildings cast large shadows across the river.  I smiled and wondered where I was.

I appreciate the diverse culture that call Chiang Mai home and wanted to share my morning with you.


2 comments:

  1. Hello my dear friends Lin and Vince,

    I am writing to you from very sunny San Diego CA. It's been 4 months since we both part ways to our new home away from home. I want to say Hello and from reading your blogs, you both seems happy! I can't wait to visit you and the beautiful country of Thailand (hoping next year).

    I miss you guys.

    Miriam L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miriam!!!! We miss you also. I want to chat via a longer email or skype? It would be wonderful to see you. We have so many places we can show you and special places for different types of Thai food! please drop me an email. vlbabkirk@gmail.com

      Delete